Make Your Own Mini Sock Puppet Theater! (Made with recycled materials!)
Here at Cupcakes and Lace we love all things mini and cute! At one of our recent summer camps we crafted up a mini puppet theater and sock puppets! This is a great craft for a Girl Scout troop, after school activity, birthday party, or even turned into an 18” doll puppet theater!
You will need:
- Box (we used a Tide/Downy detergent box turned upside down)
- wallpaper scraps (If you are doing this with your Girl Scout troop many stores will donate their wallpaper scraps-just ask! OR You can always use construction paper, tissue paper, or any paper!)
- decoupage glue
- fabric scraps, 3 strips of cardboard or 3 wooden dowels (this is if you want to add the small curtain closure to the puppet theater)
- First we showed the girls how to decoupage paper scraps onto the box. (Decoupage is glue mixed with a little water to create a paste-use paintbrush to paint paper onto the box-you must paint on the box first, then put small piece of paper onto the box, then brush glue on top of the paper!)
- Once the kids decoupage and cover up the box it is time to help them make the fabric curtains. This is obviously an optional step! With an adult hot glue the wooden dowels or cardboard strips to the top sides of the box. Then glue the rod that will go across the box to create the fabric curtains.
- Hot glue fabric scraps to look like curtains on the side.
- Have the kids make sock puppets, or used stuffed animals or store bought puppets and have a cute little puppet show!